What is a slip and trip claim?
A slip and trip claim is a legal action brought by a person who is harmed or suffers a loss when she or he slips, trips, or falls because of a property owner’s negligence or carelessness. Property owners must keep their property safe for invited visitors. If the owner knows or should know about a situation that can cause a visitor to trip, slip, or fall, the property owner must fix the situation or warn visitors of the danger. Failing to adequately repair or warn of the danger makes the owner liable for any injuries that happen as a result of the hazardous situation.
The goal of a slip and trip claim is to compensate the injured party for his or her economic damages (past and future medical expenses, lost wages, travel expenses, etc.) and pain and suffering. If you are injured in a slip and trip or slip and fall accident, filing a claim through an experienced slip and trip attorney greatly increases your chances of receiving full and fair compensation.
Accidents that are generally considered the fault of the property owner include falls caused by the property owner failing to
- fix holes, cracks or bumps in the ground within a reasonable amount of time.
- warn about an unsafe condition such as frayed carpet, uneven ground, missing or broken floor tiles, or wet floors.
- clean up soon enough after a dangerous spill in a store, restaurant, or other public place.
- warn visitors when floors are wet or slippery.
- keep walkways and aisles clear of objects such as merchandise or cleaning equipment.
- fully spread out entrance mats so they are smooth without bumps or bulges.
- ensure steps and stairs have appropriate safety railings.
Do I need to hire a slip and trip attorney?
An experienced slip and trip lawyer knows how to prove that a property owner is liable for your injuries. Not every accident that happens is the fault of a property owner. An experienced slip and trip lawyer will listen to your story and tell you whether the property owner is at fault. If the lawyer thinks the property owner should compensate you for your injuries, the lawyer knows what has to be proven to win your case.
Slip and trip cases are almost always vigorously defended. The injured person has to prove that
- she or he was invited onto the property and was not trespassing.
- the property owner had a duty to maintain the property in a safe manner for visitors (this is called a duty of care).
- the property owner failed to keep the property safe for visitors (this is called breaching the duty of care).
An experienced slip and trip attorney knows how to obtain and present the evidence supporting your claim. An experienced slip and trip lawyer also knows how to respond when the property owner says the accident was your fault instead of theirs.
How will a slip and trip attorney help me?
An experienced slip and trip attorney knows how to negotiate with business owners and insurance companies to get a fair settlement. An injury can affect your quality of life and your ability to provide for your family. Compensation for the injury can protect both your family and your future.
Common damages that are recoverable in slip and trip cases include
- Medical care and related expenses
- Lost wages and future loss of earnings
- Property damage
- Emergency services
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Travel expenses
- Legal costs
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Value of household services
The value of damages such as doctor bills and lost wages are straightforward. But there are also damages without an obvious price tag, such as pain and suffering, loss of future earnings, and value of household services. These losses are assigned a dollar value through the claims process.
Pain and suffering damages compensate an injured person for the loss in his or her quality of life. After an injury, you may experience a loss of enjoyment in family, social, professional, and educational experiences, such as when
- you can no longer coach your son’s baseball team.
- you can no longer walk or exercise your dogs.
- pain prevents you from performing your regular job duties.
Unpaid tasks that keep a household running, such as yard work, housecleaning, cooking and shopping, laundry, and some caretaking of children and other family members, are called household services. Injured persons can be compensated for the value of the household services he or she provided before the injury but can no longer provide. The tasks must still be done so the family might have to pay for outside help, or a family member might take time off from work to keep the household running.
How much does it cost to hire an experienced slip and trip attorney?
Slip and trip attorney fees vary by law firm, but in general, the firm receives a percentage of the award or settlement in a personal injury case. The lawyers get paid after the case is resolved.
Cerritos Legal Services provides a free confidential consultation to evaluate your case. Once we take your case, you pay nothing until your case is settled. Our law office provides personalized service including referrals to claims specialists and medical experts. Our team helps you and your family handle your affairs while your case is being resolved. We even work with doctors and specialists who can provide treatment on a lien basis until your case is resolved.
Contact us today for your free consultation with a slip and trip attorney at Cerritos Legal: 562-865-9356.